Friday, December 5, 2008

Tamasha by Media

Being on my vacation, I've whole day to spend watching TV and as per my habit I generally start browsing News Channels. I must say that these TV news channels have lived up to my expectations and are as stupid as they were in the last 5-6 years. You can easily browse a channel and see some person vehemently cursing politicians and some channels showing how a flop TV star was arrested for molesting a female friend. But the thing that has hurt me the most is how these News channels have launched campaigns against Terror. Though on the surface it looks to be a great initiative, I have a feeling that all that this would do is raise false hopes and help the channel with some TRP points.
I saw a documentary today on how Russians fought a Hostage situation in their country in 2002, when a group of 41 terrorists took around 800 hostages who had gone to see an Opera. The state spokesperson who was interviewed talked how Media was prevented to show anything while the Army was moving in. It helped them save many lives. Compare that to Mumbai 2008, when we had TV channels loudly talking everything about the procedure that the Armed forces were to take. Clearly, its not just Media but also the Forces who are at fault for having trusted Media with information that could only hurt their chances of a successful and a faster operation.

1 comment:

Nom de plume said...

Very true. Media channels will show anything they can to get more eyeballs for their channel. And there should not be a need for a regulatory authority but channels themselves should realize that they are Indians first and Media people later.