Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Movie Review: Ghajini

Before going to the theater, I read somewhere that the movie is a bit long. But since it was an Aamir Khan starrer, I was ready for it as I expected a high quality acting in a movie which had a nice concept(though a copied one). But I was wrong in my thinking as the plot kept on stretching without any basis. I wonder how the same person who made a wonderful movie like TZP last year could work in a movie which is overhyped, with glaring inconsistencies, full of poor acting and a plot so so so stretched that it could make the hardest Aamir Khan's fan cry out loud.

I don't know if people agree to my view but there is a difference between what people prefer in the Southern half of the country and what people prefer in the upper half. The way the movies are made, their texture, the acting, the dialogue delivery are all different. Hence after watching the movie, I could say that the major reason why people might not like this is because the director didn't keep the same in mind. He could have recreated this movie in Tamil and believe me that could have been a super hit.

A problem with this movie was that the concept of Sort term memory loss wasn't exploited properly. If we take out that from the movie, then it is pretty similar to any other damn hindi movie. The focus was mostly on the Romantic aspect and the flashback. Being a action movie with a concept, having silly comedy scenes in the movie only led to dilution of the concept. The character of Ghajini was never allowed to develop. The movie could have been a lot better had their been a thought behind the role. You can't have a owner of a pharma firm act like a gunda on the streets!

Overall, I was disappointed with the way this movie came out to be. Aamir is a wonderful actor and had not for him I would never have wasted 3 hours of my life. For the rest, I wish I suffer from some sort of memory loss and forget why I went to the movie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more! The entire movie had a South Indian imprint on it. What I hate most is stupid comedy forced upon me without any amount of subtlety and that too being canvassed at a snail's pace. I really dint see that coming though I was always skeptical of the fact that the movie had so many songs.
The short term memory funda was given a backseat for a fairly large chunk of the movie. Can the director please explain how can a person read both his diaries; Go and fight scores of bad people and only then hit his 15 minute memory loss cycle?
And seriously a pharma firm MD sitting in his Chaal with his gurgas Kudos!
I was not expecting a perfectly logical movie, but if one touches upon a plot of the likes of Memento, one should do justice to it by putting in atleast the minimum amount of thought it deserves and not ridicule the intelligence of an average cinema going person.
TZP banane waale kya tere amn mein samayi..
tune kaheko Ghajini banayi?


P.S. Guess who liked the movie, the actress and the direction from our wing? :D